You can eat the turnips!

This morning we made our first family trip of the Season to the Farmers Market. We loaded up on fresh greens, onions, lavendar, baby bok choy, fresh made tortilla chips and a sweet Japanese turnip (forgot the name, started with an h)! When I put the turnips in the Chariot with Baby Green Me I jokingly told him that he could eat the turnips. A few minutes later when I opened the top to get out our water bottle I discovered this:

Guess he likes turnips! Yay!

A spring trip to the Farmers Market has to been one of the best activities in the book. The air and was warm with the hint of a breeze, the sky clear, the trees green. The weather was in fact perfect for our walk and it was immensely satisfying to get in a little exercise. I was also pleased as punch to use the cotton produce bags that Mr. Green Me had given me at Christmas time. Not only did we walk to the market and buy fresh produce, but we also did not consume any unnecessary plastic bags! Woohoo!

Happy Spring and Mothers Day to all the moms!

Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies and my very first Apron!

Today I finally finished the apron that I started sewing back in February. Over the winter months a few girlfriends and I thought it would be fun to have sewing parties to learn from each other while sewing the same creation. In theory it was a great idea and both get togethers were fun; however, coordinating schedules for 4 gals and as many children and husbands is more complicated that it sounds! The fabric I picked out is very spring like (IMHO) and so I wanted my apron finished. This is the first real item I’ve sewn in over 10 years and it is very satisfying to be finished!

The apron was from a pattern I found through the Farmers Daughter and is reversible. I didn’t wash my hair today (haha) so no modeling, but you can still see how cute the apron is from these pictures! I love having an apron that is so me!

I’ve also been having a sweet tooth of late (I haven’t baked cupcakes since April 1st) and so I made some chocolate chip cookies. My recipe was experimental, but they turned out PERFECT. Moist with a little crunch they hold their own and don’t crumble! Not too sweet not too plain, just plain yummy!

Cream together (I used a fork):

– 1/2 cup (1 stick) Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Stick (room temp)

– 1/2 cup macadamia nut butter

– 3/4 cup sugar

– 1/4 finely ground flax seed

– 2 tsp vanilla

– 1/4 cup maple syrup

In a separate bowl mix together:

– 1 cup oats

– 1 cup whole wheat flour

– 1/2 tsp salt

– 1 tsp cinnamon

– 1 tsp baking powder

– 1 bag vegan* chocolate chips

Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir well. Drop spoonfuls of batter on cookie sheet and bake (I used my 2 tbsp coffee scoop). Should make about 32 cookies. Bake at 375F for about 8 minutes until just starting to brown. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from tray. Ive found with vegan baking that it is REALLY super important to cool cookies for the full 10 minutes before trying to move them as they are more likely to crumble if they don’t have time to set.

* I used Sunspire vegan chocolate chips and this recipe is loosely based off of the recipe on their bag, which is probably why it worked so well!

VeganDads Creamy Mac and Cheeze

Earier this week I came across a blog that really caught both my eye and my tastebuds! On Tuesday I was looking to make use of tofu, quinoa and sweet potatoes (In the name of Foodwaste Reduction), so I tossed the ingredients into Google and came up with this recipe for Cajun Quinoa.  Last night I made the Mac and Cheeze. Now over the years I have tried several mac and cheese recipes sans cheese and never found one that Id willingly make again. This time around I am super happy to have leftovers and this meal will definitely earn a place in our meal rotation!

I did make a few adjustments to the recipe as I used oat milk instead of soy (we try to only eat minimally processed soy products: tofu, miso, etc.) and no sunflower seeds, because we think Baby Green Me is mildly allergic to them. I also baked the recipe with some bread crumbs and vegan rella on top, as Vegan Dad said he thought this might be good, but hed not yet tried it baked. I love baked mac and cheese and had never myself baked any variety before and it was a definite winner.

What makes it a winner? Creamy rich flavor and both Daddy and Baby Green Me chowed down (both the quinoa and the Mac and Cheeze). I even used some of the Cheeze sauce for a veggie dip to hold Baby Green Me at bay while I was making dinner. I also love the variety of nutrients from proteins to good fats found in this Mac and Cheeze compared to your average mac and cheese recipe. To round out our meal we also had some ancient shitake mushrooms from the fridge (rehydrate in a cup of almost boiling water for about 20 minutes) sauteed with baby bok choy and a nice cool(and local) Dales Pale Ale from our storage room/beer/wine cellar.

On a side note, I think one of the things I love about Vegan Dads recipes is that he seems to put paprika in everything, which is something I never do, but that my grandmother has always claimed is her trick to delicious food. Whenever someone asks her why a particular meal is so good, her standard reply is oh, I tossed some paprika in!

I think that the next recipe I am going to try is the one for Ruben Sandwiches. I absolutely adore a good ruben and about ten or twelve years ago there used to be a vegetarian restaurant in Boulder that made a delectable one, but I havent had another since then!

Any who, I have added VeganDad to my RSS feed and if you are looking for lots and lots fo wonderful green and or vegan eating ideas you should too!

Recipe Collection for Moms Go Green

Last week I was invited to talk with our local Moms Go Green group about Eco-Cooking. I took a holistic approach to the discussion comparing the human body to an ecosystem. An analogy I find quite relevant when discussing why it is important to eat plenty of fruits and veggies in addition to eating organic, reducing our consumption of meat and dairy, while also trying to eat more foods made from scratch (read fewer boxes & cans, fewer processed foods). After the discussion I promised the moms that I would post a collection of my favorite, but different and healthy recipes on my blog. The below link is to a PDF of about 20 recipes. Please feel free to use these for personal use, but if for any reason you decide to reproduce them, please contact me first!

Healthy Recipe Collection

Longmont Urban Hens

The Longmont Urban Hen Coalition site has been launched:

If you are able and willing to donate any time or services to the cause comment below or contact me directly at greenme dot vg @ gmail dot com

Spread the word!

P.s. Don’t you love the logo that the Crunchy Domestic Goddess scratched up for us last night?

Longmont are you Chicken?

For the average green blog I have probably written extensively about my love of goats (and strawberries). Did you know I also love chickens? As a kid we had chickens, I helped my Dad feed them, broke the ice on their water in the Winter and I helped to eat their eggs for breakfast. All and all I never thought much about having chickens. As the years grew on our chickens grew old and eventually my Dad decided to cut back on his animal husbandry, and since their last two cats have passed on, my parents now own ZERO animals (for the first time in over 30 years).

But I digress. I love chickens. Or more specifically I love the yellow, golden, creamy yolks that are found inside eggs harvested fresh from hand raised chickens. So does my 16 month old son. When I scramble up a fresh egg from the chickens at Ollin Farms, my son gobbles up ever last bite. When I serve him up a pale grocery store egg even a cage free omega filled Nest Fresh egg he gets a little peckish. He eats a few bites and leaves the rest.

The average omnivore might think that I am imagining things, but I happen to be a taste connoisseur. I can copy recipes pretty good simply by tasting them (no recipe in hand). When I taste wine (or chocolate or coffee) I can honestly taste the spice, the bloom, the black cherry, the grapefruit. I KNEW when Cline Vineyards sold out and changed the grapes going into their Red Truck table wine, but it wasnt until over a year later that I finally got confirmation that the Red Truck of 5 years ago is not the same Red Truck vinted today. In other words, I am absolutely certain, that fresh farm eggs TASTE BETTER than factory farmed eggs, even Certified Humane, but still factory farmed eggs.

However, fresh farm (urban or country) eggs not only taste better, they are better for you. In fact any animal product that comes from an animal that eats a natural diet, getting in some greens (usually grass), some bugs or other foods from nature, has a different balance of fats and proteins than the same animal products factory farmed cousins. Wild venison, grass fed beef, and eggs from the little farm down the road are characterized by an increase in Omega 3 fats, a decrease in Saturated fats, and an increase in lean protein. This is because similar to the obese American, modern livestock were not meant to live on corn and soy. Corn and soy may fill you up and out, but growth in itself is not always good. Especially growth that involves excess fat.

But again, I digress, so back to chickens. I love farm chickens (urban or country) for their quirky personality, the beauty of their plumage and their ability to bond with small children. In fact, 4-H recommends that kids who want to get involved in livestock, but who have little experience raise poultry. We are what we eat (literally) and yet our culture is frighteningly disconnected from our food. Many today cant cook from scratch or think that cooking from scratch means opening a boxed mix and adding eggs and oil. Others dont even bother to use their kitchen allowing strangers to feed them 3 square (or not so square) meals per day.

And thus, perhaps I should not be in total shock that my city (Longmont, CO) is coming upon strong resistance when it comes to approving an ordinance to allow urban chickens. And yet, surrounding cities, which are arguably MORE urban than Longmont (Boulder, Denver & Fort Collins) already allow urban chickens. As does the great city of New York (seriously), as well as, other hip towns like Portland and Seattle.

For some reason, a good number of probably nice folks in Longmont, think that the approval of the urban hen will send Longmont to the dogs. Others are afraid that chickens will attract predators like fox and coyotes, which already happen to live in good numbers in our city (I see a fox and coyote on a regular basis in Longmont). Others think chickens smell (they dont) or that they are noisy (roosters are, but not chickens). Whats more they are concerned about the mess.

Cooped chickens dont poop in their neighbors yard and they dont bark at raccoons after midnight; however, they do provide those yummy, golden yolks that my family genuinely appreciates. Now given all this, I am not sure that I personally am prepared to start my own little brood of laying hens, but I do think that I should have the legal right to do so. If the ordinance is not approved, I will mark it down as another strike in my book against Longmont. (Badly maintained bike paths and sidewalks, lack of safe bike routes for families, lack of good public transportation, and no alcohol at city sponsored events are other strikes in my book.) In other words, when it comes time for my son to start Kindergarten in a few years and we come up on our familys deadline to reassess whether we stay or movethe ability to raise chickens will weigh in more heavily than you might assume.

If I can have chickens in Lafayette, Boulder, Niwot, Erie, Denver, Loveland or Fort Collins why should I not be able to keep them in Longmont? And if most of these cities also have better public transportation, bikeways and pedestrian ways, then we will likely move. Honestly, Longmont, by not supporting this ordinance, you are being a stick in the mud!

What can we do?

Well, the Crunchy Domestic Goddess has started a Chicken Crusade and I am happily going a long for the ride. In a few days we should have a site up (Longmont Urban Hens) and we are working to organize anyone and everyone who supports urban hens in Longmont to show up at the City Council meeting in December. In addition, if you live in Longmont and support urban hens, please dont delay in writing our city council members and tell them why they need to approve the urban hen ordinance. You can find Longmont City Council contact info (includin email addresses) behind this link. In general we are looking to be as POSITIVE about chickens as possible. We also want to educate folks about the realities of raising chickens (the good and the bad), while acknowledging that urban hens are as much pets as they are providers of yummy eggs.

Eco Mom Series #4: Use non toxic products

Concern for the products that enter our bodies through our mouths is pretty straightforward. No one in his or her right mind would willingly drink a bottle of chlorine or munch a handful of lead. Indeed, humans and animals alike can very easily be poisoned and or affected in a multitude of ways if we ingest something toxic to our system. However, we are often in denial of the fact that products that touch our skin or that create vapors can be just as toxic.

Indeed it is commonplace for our society to overlook the fact that human skin is a living organ, which makes what we put on or next to our skin seriously important. Somehow, we think that our skin acts as a barrier, when in fact it can absorb toxins and environmental irritants just as easily as our digestive system. And, products that are absorbed through our skin can be especially dangerous because they go straight into our blood stream. At the least, toxins ingested through the mouth if they dont kill us first have the opportunity to be cleaned out of our system through the digestive process. This is why alcoholics get cirrhosis of the liver. The body works so hard at clearing the alcohol out of their bodies’ that it eventually cant keep up.

Similarly, the lung is a working organ and the only way for humans to get oxygen into our blood stream. Every time we inhale a chemical irritant we damage our lungs. Enough damage and the lungs start to lose their ability to repair themselves. Furthermore airborne irritants and toxins can aggravate the lungs for folks who already have breathing problems, such as asthma, even worse they can induce asthma in folks who were previously not at risk. Smoking may be the most common cause of lung cancer but it is not the only cause.

According to research collected by the Eco-Mom Alliance over 150 toxic chemicals are common to the average household. What is really bad news, is that many of these chemicals have been connected to increased incidence of asthma, allergies, cancers, and behavioral disorders.

Chemicals to avoid (more info at the Environmental Working Group):

• Triclosan – antibacterial agent in soap. Reacts with chlorine to create chloroform a known carcinogen and it is showing up in water sources, humans and animals in unprecedented levels.
  • BPA – Is found in hard clear plastics, such as baby bottles, old Nalgene bottles, your Cuisinart food processor and more. BPA is more likely to leach when heated or in contact with fatty or acidic foods.
  • Fragrance (pththaltes) this includes perfumes, but also extends to baby lotions and all sorts of bath and body products.
  • Oxybenzone – chemical blocker in sunscreen is a photo carcinogen itself, as well as, highly allergic to certain people. And, in Sweden they have recommended that at the least it should never be used on children under the age of two, because they dont have adequate enzymes to eliminate in from their system.
  • PBDE and other fire retardants Bad, bad, bad. Bad for you, bad for me, bad for baby, bad for fish, bad for everyone.
  • Lead We’ve known about lead poisoning for eons. Why is this still a problem?
  • Chlorine is a lung irritant and also toxic to aquatic systems

Non-toxic replacements:

• Antibacterial soaps and wipes: warm water and hand soap; alcohol, thyme or tea tree oil based wipes. I am very fond of these non-toxic wipes by CleanWell. Be cautious with alcohol gels and wipes around toddlers and pre-school age kids – the concentration of alcohol can be toxic.
  • Buy glass or BPA free baby bottles & sippy cups; glass food storage containers and the like.
  • For sunscreen look for physical blockers (like Zinc) versus chemical blockers. Checkout how your favorite sunscreen (or body product) rates at the Skin Dip Cosmetic Database.
  • Filter tap water to reduce exposure to lead, chlorine and other water contaminates (most filters cannot remove Fluoride).
  • Cook with stainless steel pans and a little healthy olive or canola oil or use a seasoned cast iron skillet.
  • Use green cleaners, but watch out for preservatives (which can still be skin and lung irritants.
  • Eat your omega 3 fats and fish that are low in mercury; breastfeed your baby!
  • Use a sprig of pine; baking soda in the fridge or freezer; orange rind or lemon in your garbage disposal; bake a fresh pie or cookies; or a soy or beeswax candle to freshen your air!
  • Make your own non-toxic cleaners with baking soda, vinegar, borax and more!

Also, don’t immediately trust a product because it calls itself GREEN. For example, Clorox Green Works, which has received lots of positive reviews contains preservatives that are potentially toxic to aquatic life and are most definitely potential skin and lung irritants. Specifically in question is the Kathalon biocide preservative and isothiazol. I have not yet fully researched these components and the claims against them; however, in the meantime if you have breathing problems or other chemical sensitivities I would steer clear of the Clorox Green Works line.

***Update***

When I posted this earlier today I forgot to mention two very important messages from the Center for Health, Environment and Justice:

1. The Disney Go Green Campaign: Disney is participating in Florida’s Green Building program and they have committed to using non-toxic cleaning products in their zoos/animal enclosures. However, they still use over 80 highly toxic cleaners in areas where children play, bathe and sleep! Please join the campaign to ask Disney to Go Green! Follow this link to take action!
  2. The Non Toxic Home Cleaning Guide (down loadable PDF)

EcoMom Series #3.3 Shop Organic

We often associate the word organic with food products, but it can also be used to reference clothing, beauty care products and more. The key to reading labels, is understanding that organic food products (and claims) are regulated by the FDA. Other organic claims are not regulated; so, when buying anything organic that does not sport the USDA organic seal, make sure that you know and trust your supplier. Also check the ingredient list (if available) and see how many truly organic ingredients have been included.

There are many reasons to buy organic, the first and foremost being your families health (who wants to ingest chemicals, especially those that are known carcinogens or worse). Yet another reason to buy organic is the health of the planet. Pesticides can pollute soil and ground water, as well as, damage local flora and fauna. Genetically modified plants (GMO) can cross pollinate with non-GMO plants and also interfere with the development of other flora and fauna.

Many folks think that organic plants and foods are more expensive to grow and produce. In some ways this is true as it is difficult to mass produce or skimp on an organic product. However, keep in mind that although a yard of pesticide intensive organic cotton may be cheaper to produce up front than a yard of organic cotton the opportunity cost and ultimately the real cost of the pesticide intensive cotton will likely be much higher.

Some plants tend to require more pesticides than others and so are more pesticide intensive. Cotton and strawberries are two of my favorite examples. The cultivation of cotton is estimated to account for 25% of total pesticide use world wide and in the US alone, five of the most common cotton pesticides are known carcinogens. If you want to put your money where it counts do your best to encourage companies to use and support organic cotton!

Strawberries are believed to be one of the most pesticide intensive crops in the state of California and one of the most common pesticides used on strawberries (to kill soil borne disease) is Methyl bromide, which can be inhaled and according to the EPA is an acute toxin (or deadly chemical). Other pesticides used on strawberries are absorbed into the fruit, which is mostly water thus making it so that you cant just wash the strawberry off. This is evidenced by recent tests in which it was found that 90% of strawberries sold contained 36 different pesticides!

According to the Green Guide the following foods are organic must buys as they consistently show the highest levels of toxic (and or illegal) pesticide residues:

• strawberries
  • rice
  • grains
  • milk
  • corn
  • bananas
  • green beans
  • apples
  • peaches/nectarines
  • grapes/raisins

Another point to keep in mind if you choose NOT to buy organic, is to only buy conventional produce that was grown in the US or Canada. Many South American countries from whom we import food have more lax standards and regulations when it comes to pesticide use. And, although they supposedly do not use certain banned pesticides on foods grown for sale in the US, random test  on various foods, such as bananas and grapes, show otherwise!

And, a common myth of organic food is that it goes bad more quickly or that it is naturally damaged. This is just not true. If you buy organic produce that goes bad quickly, it simply means that it was on the shelf (or in storage) for too long before the store put it out for you to buy. In fact fresh picked organic produce often lasts longer than conventional produce, precisely because it usually travels a shorter distance from farm to table. And, most organic food ripens on the plant and is thus not treated with gas to encourage ripening. This is why your slightly green organic bananas often taste ripe, when the same green conventional banana would still taste unripe.

In addition, when buying locally grown produce, dont automatically pass it up simply because it does not carry an organic label. Many smaller farmers may choose not to use pesticides, but they dont pay for certification. Or in the case, for example, of an apple orchard, they may spray once in the spring before the fruit forms, but not again, this helps protect their fruit, but it is unlikely any residue will show up in or on your fruit.

One more reason to support organic, is that many organic farmers understand the interconnectedness of life and so they not only dont use pesticides, but they have other farming practices that also work to protect life on earth rather than defeat, tame or damage it. One of the best stories Ive heard of late was from a friend who is an organic farmer in Sebastopol, CA.

Paul has a friend who raises cattle and chickens, both free range, grass fed. He starts his cows out on a pasture until the grass is short. He then moves the cows to the next pasture, while leaving the old pasture to fallow (cow dung and all) for about a week (the time it takes fly eggs to hatch and grow into larvae). He then moves his chickens into the pasture. They scratch through the cow dung to eat some nice protein filled larvae, poop on the grass (chicken poo is an awesome fertilizer) and they eat a little grass (calcium, omega 3s and more). After he moves the chickens on to the next pasture the grass grows thick, green and tall making it perfect for the next round of cattle grazing. No pesticides, added fertilizers or feeds involved. Just mother nature and human cultivation working in harmony!

What have you eaten?

One of the great things about eating local (wherever you go) is that local foods often have a lot of variety and built in creativity that results in the delivery of everything from important nutrients to alcohol. Over time, certain things have become delicacies and other items (depending on where you live) are everyday dishes. GreenStyleMom just shared her take on this meme and since we just got back from a short camping trip and my son has simultaneously decided to skip his morning nap, I thought Id also have a little fun. (Instead of writing a serious blog post or getting other serious work done!)

It would be fun to see what youve eaten, so if you do this meme (either by blog or email) drop me a line or post a comment with a link and let me know!

1) Copy this list into your blog or journal, including these instructions.

2) Bold all the items you’ve eaten.
3) Cross out any items that you would never consider eating.

4) Optional extra: Post a comment here at http://www.verygoodtaste.co.uk/uncategorised/the-omnivores-hundred/ linking to your results.

1. Venison
2. Nettle tea
3. Huevos rancheros
4. Steak tartare
5. Crocodile
6. Black pudding
7. Cheese fondue
8. Carp
9. Borscht
10. Baba ghanoush
11. Calamari
12. Pho
13. PB&J sandwich
14. Aloo gobi
15. Hot dog from a street cart
16. Epoisses (maybe? Ive had a lot of French cheese over the years)
17. Black truffle
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes (fejoa, elder berry)
19. Steamed pork buns
20. Pistachio ice cream
21. Heirloom tomatoes
22. Fresh wild berries
23. Foie gras
24. Rice and beans
25. Brawn, or head cheese
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper
27. Dulce de leche
28. Oysters
29. Baklava
30. Bagna cauda
31. Wasabi peas
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl
33. Salted lassi
34. Sauerkraut
35. Root beer float
36. Cognac with a fat cigar
37. Clotted cream tea
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O
39. Gumbo
40. Oxtail
41. Curried goat (I dont do goat, even sacrificial goat, so no curry either.)
42. Whole insects (Once tried a chocolate covered ant)
43. Phaal
44. Goat’s milk
45. Malt whiskey from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more (This and the cognac/cigar combo are thanks to my husband in his bachelor days.)
46. Fugu Nah (are you kidding? I like sushi, but this takes it to an entirely different level!)
47. Chicken tikka masala
48. Eel
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut. (Mine was colddidnt see what the big deal is!)
50. Sea urchin (First time was raw straight from the ocean in Madagascar with lime kind of like doing a tequila shot.)
51. Prickly pear
52. Umeboshi
53. Abalone
54. Paneer
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal (Must admit that when these first came out and I was under 10 they were absolutely delish!)
56. Spaetzle
57. Dirty gin martini (Ive had a sip of a gin martini, but only every finished a vodka one. My mom is allergic to juniper, so Ive in general stayed away.)
58. Beer above 8% ABV (Had a 10.5 Imperial stout of some sort on Monday husband made a mixed 6 pack for our camping trip. And, yes we brought the bottles back to recycle them and we made sure the camp fire was completely out!)
59. Poutine
60. Carob chips (I like them okay, but NOT as a substitute for chocolate. Carob is its own deal.)
61. S’mores (Of course! Why else go camping?)
62. Sweetbreads
63. Kaolin (not that I am aware of, but sounds like it has interesting insecticidal properties.)
64. Currywurst
65. Durian
66. Frogs’ legs
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake
68. Haggis
69. Fried plantain
70. Chitterlings, or andouillette.
71. Gazpacho
72. Caviar and blini (separately? maybe?)
73. Louche absinthe (helps to have a roommate with family in Eastern Europe!)
74. Gjetost, or brunost (I don’t think so)
75. Roadkill
76. Baijiu (Uh yes, I wondered for a while why many Malagasy carried white vinegar with them all the timethen I had some. Fire water I tell you!)
77. Hostess Fruit Pie
78. Snail
79. Lapsang souchong
80. Bellini
81. Tom yum
82. Eggs Benedict
83. Pocky
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant (Don’t think so, looked up my best prospect and it is only a two star!)
85. Kobe beef
86. Hare (involuntarily as a kid thanks Dad!)
87. Goulash
88. Flowers
89. Horse
90. Criollo chocolate
91. Spam
92. Soft shell crab
93. Rose harissa
94. Catfish
95. Mole poblano
96. Bagel and lox
97. Lobster Thermidor
98. Polenta
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee
100. Snake

And a friend just asked me why I had lemon curd in my ice box! Do you know what else I have in my ice box? How about some grattons de canard à léchalote the next time you come over?

Return to the old ways and a gentle reminder

As we all know there has been a resurgence in young women (such as myself) learning to can. Every attempt is a learning experience from start to finish. And, eating the canned goods is always a treat! Another great experience is sharing the canned goods with friends and family.

Sharing the bounty is an act that should eventually bring the joyful and tasty experience full circle, when the recipient returns the glass jar to the owner. Returning the jars (versus recycling them or cramming them in your cupboard) ensures that when the next round of canning or the next seasons arrives, the canner has a full stock of jars at her (his) disposal.

Returning the jars makes both ECOnomic and ECOfriendly sense, as it saves the canner fuel in making a run to the store to by new jars; it saves the energy and resources required to make new jars; it saves the canner money invested in jars; and, it lets the canner know that you enjoyed the goods and want more!

So, if you have received any canned goods from a friend or family member, when you are finished, be sure to return the jar(s)!

Have a wonderful weekend I will update you with my activities, which include make and decorating another 1st Birthday cake (for a good friend) and canning pears and more tomato sauce!

P.s. You guessed it! This post was motivated by my lack of jars! Ive already bought 3 sets this year, but am finding myself to small jars short of what Id like to can today!